Welcome

The views represented here are mine and I hope to add a little bit of humor to our sad state of affairs.

My Address is http://timsscaredstiff.com

Opinions are Welcomed but keep it civil.

Trying to Make a Difference

Tim's Scared Stiff This is where you can go for Politics, current news and opinion.


Friday, April 30, 2010

Here we Freaken Go

From The Huffington Post
NPR News reports that the FBI is investigating the possible bribery of federal officials overseeing mining industry regulation by Massey Energy, the owner of the Upper Big Branch mine that exploded three weeks ago, killing 29 miners.
"The Mine Safety and Health Administration is the target of a federal criminal investigation," NPR notes, and "FBI agents are also exploring potential criminal negligence on the part of Massey Energy."
The nation's top mine safety official told lawmakers earlier this week that the government will start going directly to federal court to shut down mines that make a habit of ignoring safety.
Joe Main, director of the Mine Safety and Health Administration, said his agency has had the power to seek federal injunctions for years, but has never tried to use it.
"I can't speak for past administrations," Main said during the Senate's first hearing on the accident that killed 29 men. "We're going to use it."
Main also called for a slew of other legal and regulatory reforms to beef up safety enforcement in the wake of this month's deadly explosion at a mine in West Virginia.
The Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee convened the hearing to look at weaknesses in current laws that encourage mine operators and companies in other industries to challenge safety violations to delay stiffer penalties.

6 comments:

Jolly Roger said...

In the Chimperial era, bribery was simply "income enhancement" and was accepted practice.

Tim said...

JR
Ahhh the good old days ehh ;)

Tom Harper said...

As bleak as everything is right now, there seem to be two rays of hope:

The criminals investigations of Massey Energy and Goldman Sachs. Maybe large corporations will start being just a little bit more accountable. Well, I can dream.

Tim said...

Tom
It's Friday night thus the weekend.
If ever their was a time to be optimistic I guess it's now. I'm having a beer and watching Bill Maher.
Tomorrow's another day.
Christ I sound like the scene from Gone with the wind.... I went with a girlfriend. ;)

Ranch Chimp said...

There's so much of this shit that goes on in America, it's incredible.

BTW Mr. Tim (concerning how I am feeling).... I went to the hospital the other day, sore upper back, alot of coughing, congestion, etc. They say I have a bronchial infection(?), any wayz, they put me on some anti-biotic's to take for 10 day's called "Levaquin", I am a lil better but still kind of drawgy. I usually work weekend's, but I decided to take off and stay in Dallas and just rest. Thanx Guy!

Tim said...

RC
Time off, good you deserve it.
Catch up on some reading or do what I do...lot's of Naps..I sleep more than my Granddaughter. ;)