Welcome

The views represented here are mine and I hope to add a little bit of humor to our sad state of affairs.

My Address is http://timsscaredstiff.com

Opinions are Welcomed but keep it civil.

Trying to Make a Difference

Tim's Scared Stiff This is where you can go for Politics, current news and opinion.


Monday, May 24, 2010

I love a parade

How metro...

President Obama has signed on to a "don't ask, don't tell" compromise between lawmakers and the Defense Department, the White House announced Monday, an agreement that removes a key obstacle to repealing the military's policy banning gays and lesbians from serving openly in the armed forces.
This Story

*
Obama endorses 'don't ask, don't tell' compromise in Congress
*
'Don't ask, don't tell' votes likely to be close
*
Obama extends hospital visitation rights to same-sex couples

Under the compromise, finalized in a series of meetings Monday at the White House and on Capitol Hill, lawmakers will vote in the next several days on a repeal of the Clinton-era policy. If it passes, that action would not go into effect until the Pentagon completes a study about its impact on the troops.

In a letter to lawmakers pushing for a legislative repeal, the White House wrote Monday that "such an approach recognizes the critical need to allow our military and their families the full opportunity to inform and shape the implementation process through a thorough understanding of their concerns, insights and suggestions."

Gay rights advocates hailed the White House decision as a "dramatic breakthrough" that they predicted would dismantle the policy once and for all. In a statement, Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese said the announcement "paves the path to fulfill the President's call to end 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' this year and puts us one step closer to removing this stain from the laws of our nation."

The move also injects a highly controversial social issue back into the national conversation, even as lawmakers begin to gear up for their fall reelection campaigns.


Conservative lawmakers have vowed to fight the effort to end the policy. Arizona Sen. John McCain (R), who had previously supported repeal, said at a recent congressional hearing that "Don't Ask" was "imperfect but effective" and that "we should not be seeking to overturn."

Several conservative Democrats in Congress have said they would oppose a repeal unless military leaders made clear that they approved of such a change. That signal has been on hold as the Pentagon completes its study of the ramifications.

At the same time, liberal lawmakers had been pushing for an immediate repeal. The White House endorsement of the compromise is designed to satisfy both concerns and earn their support for a deferred repeal.

About time don't you think, gays have been serving since time began.

6 comments:

Ranch Chimp said...

Buenos Dias Senor Tim!

Actually I didnt know a damn thing about the hospital visitation or the dont ask dont tell as to how it worx, and up until a lil over 5 year's ago, I didnt even know it was illegal for same sex marriage. I had gay neighbor's for year's who would introduce partner's,as their spouses, and saw gay wedding's almost weekly in this town for year's such as at the gay churches in Dallas' Oaklawn District .... I had no idea that all this was just "make believe", I thought some of these MF's were actually married, my wife and I attended parties at gay/ lesbian bar's as well with other married gay couples (my wife is female gender).I feel as I have wrote that gay's should only pay half their taxes since they only get half the benefit's of being a citizen .... but that's just my opinion.

BTW .... your new pic look's cool!

Later Guy .......

Tim said...

RC
If there's an opinion I respect it would be yours.
What do you think of the picture nook and the art nook I set up.
If you have suggestion on them please let me know.
Later

Tom Harper said...

I'm pretty sure public opinion is in favor of allowing gays to serve and repealing DADT. If conservatives want to keep this issue in the public consciousness right up through the election, that's fine with me.

Tim said...

Tom
Amazing that they can make a non issue such an issue. I heard it's cost our country over a billion dollars since don't ask don't tell was put in.

Ranch Chimp said...

Yeah Mr.Tim .... I think the art and picture deal is really cool! Suggestion's .... not yet .... I really dont know much about computer's, or ever really take time to learn, or have anyone around me that can show me anything, onece in the while my daughter is in for a short while to ask a question, the few dudes I know that are in my neighborhood, dont do shit on computer's and barely know how to "google", some dont even use a computer or ever did.

Tim said...

RC
I was thinking you might know how I could get people to send in stuff.
Maybe a contest or some sort of prize.
I don't know...